Before the snow starts to fly, now is the time to take a look around your home for simple things that can be fixed before winter. Here's a list to get you started:
- Check all gutters and roofing. Take the time to inspect and clean all gutters and downspouts for those Calgary chinooks. You also want to take some time to inspect your roof for any damaged shingles, leaky vents, etc.
- Shut off and drain faucets. Drain and winterize your outdoor faucets and irrigation systems and put away the hoses.
- Doors and Windows. Check exterior doors for leaking seals and replace weather-stripping and caulking as needed. Make sure any gaps and cracks around the windows and doors are sealed.
- Walkways and driveways. Take steps needed to repair damaged sidewalks, driveways and steps before snow and ice cause injuries.
- Furnace. Consider having your furnace cleaned and inspected before it's -25 out. Clean or replace dirty furnace filters.
- Fireplaces. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, check the chimney for soot or creosote build up. Even better, schedule a reputable chimney sweep to inspect your fireplace and chimney before starting that cozy wood fire.
- Safety Items. Check and test smoke and CO detectors and replace the batteries as needed. Also now is a good time to review your fire extinguishers, fire escape plans, and get rid of piling old newspapers, etc.
More details can be found here.